Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tomorrow I Bake

Okay, so wedding planning is a stressful thing. Very stressful. Poor Rachael is showing signs of stress. Well... I have a little habit. I bake when I'm stressed. No, seriously... I bake. Don't ask me why. But I do. Well, actually, I have thought about it and I think I know why. Baking means kitchens. Kitchen means being a little girl in Grandma Wright's kitchen. Grandma Wright's kitchen means aprons and tastes and smells... and a warm oven... and hugs. And Grandpa coming home at some point. And each of us kneeling at our chair around the kitchen table for prayer. All that means warm and safe. Warm and safe means home... That's why I bake when I'm stressed. (How's that for a layman's psychotherapeutic analysis???)

The month before my brother's trial, the stress was incalculable. On top of everything, it was December. Christmas stress. The whole reason I ended up meeting MakeItHap'n Cap'n was because... well, I was stressed and needed a place to bake. My mom and I were pacing around like two tigers in a cage at Hogle Zoo. (Of course, Hogle Zoo only has one tiger, but you get the idea.) I wanted out of there. So, The Captain was kind enough to offer his kitchen. Yes, I flew from San Diego to Reno and then drove two hours south... just to do some Christmas baking. And boy, did I bake! The Captain left for his job early in the morning, turned his apartment over to me (a virtual stranger) and basically stayed away until 5:00 at night. I baked every Christmas treat I'd ever had in my repetoire. By the end of the day, we had cinnamon rolls, sugar cookies, sparkle cookies, pumpkin chocolate chip bread, chocolate applesauce bread, molasses cookies, oatmeal yucks, fudge, chocolate chip cookies, lemon squares. I even did chicken enchiladas and chili cheese dip for good measure. Then I packed up and headed for home. His boys arrived the next day to spend Christmas with him. I was long gone by then. I have to say, his home teaching families were pretty well-stocked for holiday treats, too. I wonder how he explained all those baked goods coming from his bachelor pad??? Hmmmm. I should ask.

Anyway, the aforementioned is submitted to prove that, yes, I bake when I'm stressed. Okay, who am I kidding? My size is testament to the fact that I bake when I'm stressed.

So, anyway, I talk to Rachael. She's stressed about wedding planning. So, what's my natural solution? "Oh sweetie, come to my house and we'll bake." Now, of course, I'm also ready to help with the wedding planning. Whatever she needs me to do, I'm happy to help. But, first things first! Some snickerdoodles maybe? How about double-decker brownies? (No walnuts for Rob.) Maybe just a couple artisan breads. Something. Anything to help reduce the stress. I find it so therapeutic. Hope it helps her tomorrow. Heaven forbid she have different coping skills. Gasp! Clutch. The. Pearls. What if she jogs to relieve stress??? Okay, well, she'll be on her own if that's the case. I'll have some chocolate chip cookies ready for her when she gets back.

I'll be sure to have my camera handy. We'll have picture proof of all our hard work -- or pastry therapy, however you want to look at it.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Karla I love these entries. Not only are they funny and informative but thought provoking as well. I think maybe you should think about writing a column. You have great style. By the way, the samples that I have experienced of your baked goods makes me wish you were stressed more often.

Barney Blah...g said...

Hey, I wish I was going to be at baking day! I am not stressed but I love a good cookie, homemade for sure. As a matter of fact I just bought a really delicious batch of the best homemade sugar cookies at our ward auction last night, they are to die for and am going to take them to the baby blessing weekend for all to share. (If they make it that far) Have fun!

Rae Jean said...

I love to bake too...and used to use it for the same stress reducer! I wish I had your kitchen...and I would bake more. I don't have a big slab of marble to roll out things on anymore. My favorite thing, was to make the product, and then take turns giving it to different people in the ward. Relieves stress and helps to brighten yours and their days!