So... Thursday in the mail comes an envelope to Jon from Salt Lake City. Problem: Jon is in Kansas for the summer working. (Side note: so are Brett, Juliann, Mae, Josh and Spencer.) Sigh. I know I have to forward it on to him. I know I have to leave it unopened. Temptation. Decision time. Looking at the iron (specifically the steam feature); looking at the envelope. Gauging my acting ability to sound surprised in a couple of days when he calls to "tell me" where he's going.
Nope. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent. I drive to the UPS Store and send it to Kansas... unopened. I tell Jon I've sent it for Monday delivery, but I actually sent it overnight. I wanted him to be surprised. I sent it to Brett and Juliann's place. I called Juliann and told her it was coming. Bless her heart! She comes up with a plan. She makes cookies and invites Josh, Jon and Spencer to come over after work for "dessert." Little do they know... it's really to have Jon open his call.
The Cap'n and I watch the clock all day. Finally, at 10:00 at night the phone rings. Jon's about to open his call. I'm thrilled for him... and proud of him. Fogive the parental boast, but he is one prepared young man.
I don't know who to kiss first: Steve Jobs for inventing an iPhone that records video that can be sent from a cellphone to an email address, or Juliann for knowing all about that feature and using it so I can "see" my son open his call in far away Kansas.
OH?? Have I not told you where he's going? Well, I'll let him do that.
Brett's got me on the phone. The Cap'n and I have our heads smashed together trying to both hear at once. Josh has the ex on his phone. Spencer has Katie on his phone. I love cell phones!!! Oops? Are you still on pins and needles? Here ya go:
Yeah, that was some seriously butchered Spanish pronunciation. But... no worries. Two years from now he'll come back saying it correctly.
Okay, please notice in that last clip how subtly Brett calls him a girl. "For eighteen months." And did you catch in the first video clip how Jon picks Mae up and is kissing her on the top of the head when he notices the UPS package. So sweet.
So here are the details:
Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission
Reports to the MTC on September 1st
A million and one immunization shots to get
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Okay now I am sitting here crying, that is so exciting!!!!! What fun modern technology to be able to see all this and have kids that know how to get it all to work!!! So happy for you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! Loved the videos!!! Thanks for putting them on here! I'm a little nervous for him, but as you said...Jon is prepared to go! He does have a lot to do now...good luck with all of that! We (Don and I) are so excited for Jon to go!!! He will be a wonderful missionary, and will be such a help to those people! Love you!
Post a Comment