While the title of this post might infer being back -- as in returning to the blogosphere, it actually has nothing to do with that. It's referring to anatomy. My anatomy. My back. My T-spine and L-spine are extremely grumpy. They've been grumpy since January 29th when I decided to slip on a sheet of ice and fall right down on my... well, on another part of my anatomy. Let's just say it was a direct vertical fall. Hard to believe I could be so uncoordinated? Having trouble visualizing it??? Here, let me help:
No throwing out my arms as a cushion to the blow. No slipping and then sliding so that the landing might be a bit more diagonal than straight down vertical. None of the above. When I hit the pavement, I felt a crunch right in the middle of my spine. Trip to the Instacare and a quick x-ray showed no broken bones. But the discs... ah yes, the discs. Apparently that's a whole 'nother matter.
Since that day I have been taking some serious pain meds and using a walker to get around. Not just any walker, mind you, but a lovely navy blue with hand brakes, a cushioned seat (for rear sitting while not walking) and a secret compartment large enough to hide a picnic lunch, camera, and a sweater. (Not that I'll be picnicking anytime soon, but it's nice to know I have the option.) More trouble with the visualization? Here you go:
So... back to my story. My back is a mess. A hot mess. I don't know if there's a fix-it for it or not. Wonderful Doc "T"-ton has already provided me muscle relaxants, oxycodone, and steroids (no, I'm not talking like Ahnold yet), and even some lovely geriatric snacks such as Milk of Magnesia and Miralax to counteract the oxycodone putting my plumbing to sleep. All to no avail. Next step? Imaging of the T-spine and L-spine to see just how much damage is in there. But here's the big question...
And???
So let's say the discs are compressed or herniated or obliterated. What exactly can they do about it? That's what I want to know. I mean, seriously, what kind of alternatives do I have? I'm a month into this and no change to the pain level or lack of mobility. I'm pretty much useless as a picker-upper or a kicker-jumper. The only thing I'm good at is sitting. I do that very well. I am currently reprising my award-winning role as Chief Sitting Pretty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment