



Youngest son. Doesn’t get to do anything first... so I figured I’d introduce him first. (yeah, it’s the little things that make me such a great mom.) Football. Swimming. Weightlifting, FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), DECA (don’t ask me what it stands for but it’s something to do with a student Marketing and Business Development Association), HOSA (Health Occupation Something Association)... yeah... he’s into all of it. And good at all of it.
I got a letter from the high school recently warning me that my son was not “on track” to graduate from high school next spring. So, I had to make a call... “Ummm, this is Jon’s mom. I got this letter.”
“Yes Mrs. Jon’s Mom. We are concerned because Jon is only enrolled in two high school classes this year, and well, there are quite a few credit hours he will need to complete in order to graduate high school this year.”
“Yes, I’m aware he’s only in two HS classes. Were you aware that’s because all five of his other classes are EdNet college classes through Utah Valley University? You know, the ones that count for both college and high school credit?”
Silence. “Uh, no.”
“Well, yeah. In fact, if you total up the credits from the college courses he took last year as a junior, I think you will find he’s already got enough credits to graduate from high school. In fact, by the end of this school year, I think he’ll be three college courses away from his Associate’s degree. He’s staying enrolled at the HS so he can play football, compete in swimming and weightlifting, get as many college classes at the discounted high school tuition rate as possible, participate in FBLA, DECCA and HOSA (excuse me while I take a breath)... oh, and date and go to Prom.”
So... that’s Jon. He’s 17. He’s a blast. He’s intense. He’s driven. But, between you and me... his music drives me bonkers! He’s got an annoying habit of taking his CD player into the bathroom and cranking it up so he can hear it when he’s in the shower. I’ve tried the patient route. (No go.) I’ve tried the “can you please turn it down” route. Doesn’t work consistently. Finally, a while ago, I confess, my nerves were sufficiently frazzled and I lost it. So I barked at him: “Why is it you are the only person in the family that has to have music to wash their butt by?” (Not my best parental moment.) But, the great thing about Jon? He loves me even during my not-so-great moments. So I guess I may have to pick my fights a little more judiciously... and buy some Extra-Strength Tylenol in the meantime. Or earplugs... yeah, earplugs... That might work.

3 comments:
He's quite a kid! Wow! He has so much together. But how could he not? With a mother like you!!! :)
Jon Jon we will surely pray for him, Just kidding. We love him and his comments on politics. Love Brett
How can you not love Jon?!?!?!What a great kid! What a great mom!
I wish we were close enough that we could watch him play football!
Keep up the hard work, Jonathan!!
Post a Comment