I have a son on a mission in New Zealand. I have a daughter entering college in 4 months. I have a son who is a high school senior. If I'm allowed to count my stepsons in my life trajectory (and I do - my musings on the problematic word "step" will come in a later post), I have a stepson old enough now to not qualify for our insurance any longer. I have another stepson who is a high school senior. I have a stepson and a stepdaughter-in-law (see how awkward that "step" word keeps being?) who are new parents -- making me a (I refuse to use that "S" word again) GRANDMOTHER.
I have accumulated a 13-year-old previous marriage, three years of "divorced" status, and a current marriage trying to be six-years old. If I were one of those that "got it right the first time" I'd be looking to celebrate 22 years of marriage. Forget the coupling failures -- just look at the numbers. I've accumulated that much adult life...
Yep, I am officially old. What the heck!?! When did this happen? How am I supposed to feel about it? I know that I have crossed over because thoughts about retirement funds, the state of the nation, healthcare, children's college costs, and dwindling job options bounce around in my head daily. I gave up counting individual gray hairs long ago. I'm sure Lancome doesn't even make a wrinkle cream that will help stave off the laugh lines (or cry lines if I'm feeling pessimistic). Oh, let's be honest, in another couple of years, if things continue to head in the direction they're going, my nipples and my navel will be able to have face-to-face conversations with each other on a bra-less day.
So why start a blog now? At my age? Well, I guess if I'm going to go into middle-age kicking and screaming, why not scream here in public? (After all, I'm both an Aries AND a middle child.) I'll try welcoming the opportunities of this stage of life. I'm sure there will be surprises. I'm going to exercise a little faith that it's a phase of life worth entering into full-force. Exuberance! Excitement! I've "embraced" the sags, the wrinkles, the headaches my teenage son's music gives me. I guess I'll "embrace" the age thing.
So, bear with me as this blog becomes a work in progress. I'll get some pictures posted, some music to share with you all. Some things that'll make it worth your time to come by and visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
so now...you are NOT old!
what you are is funny and I love you! How fun to read your entries! How fun that you have now joined the most wonderful, elite club in all the world...THE GRANDMA CLUB! I am looking forward to many good food entries! We'll see you in a few weeks!!
WE are not old...especially you! Welcome to the world of blogging. It's fun to have you here! Your sense of humor is so awesome, just like you. Love you!
Post a Comment