So... I had two rotting bananas. Didn't want to do banana bread, so I did a banana cake. (I got it from The Pastry Studio blog that I love.) I had a slice this morning. I like it.
Oatmeal Banana Cake
8 Tbsp unsalted butter (@ room temperature)
3/4 C brown sugar
2 eggs @ room temperature
2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
zest of 1/2 lemon
3/4 C flour
1 1/4 C rolled oats
heaping 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
TOPPING:
3/4 C oats
1/3 C brown sugar
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cinnamon (more if you like it)
1 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup finely chopped nuts or seeds (optional - I used walnuts)
4 Tbsp butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9" springform cake pan with butter and parchment paper.
Whisk together dry ingredients for the topping. Add melted butter and stir with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and oats. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Scrape down the bowl and add mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined - do not overmix. Pour into prepared pan and smooth out evenly.
Sprinkle topping over cake batter and press down gently. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out moist but clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake and remove cake pan ring.
Notes: Okay, after having my first slice, I think I might make a few alterations. I realized after the fact I had used an 8" springform instead of a 9". For the 8" diameter cake, there is too much topping. So, either follow directions (duh!) and leave things as they are, or if using a smaller pan, reduce the amount of topping you put on.
Also, if you are a fan of chocolate-dipped bananas, it might be fun to drizzle some melted chocolate over the top of this cake. I think I'll try that next time.
Overall, I like this cake. It's not too sweet and is a nice change from banana bread.
Once again... I forgot I now own a camera, so there are no pictures of this culinary delight. I'll try and remember to take a picture next time before I cut into whatever I've baked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment