Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Birthday Shrine


Yeah, that's what Katie calls it. She and Garrett were leaving to go to the store and she says, "So what do you think of my mother's birthday shrine."

Well, what can I say? I guess my sister and brother-in-law said it best. On the card that came with the tulips (see shrine photo above): "Happy 19th annual 29th birthday."

Now, here is where it gets really interesting. Anyone that knows me would know that tulips are my favorite flower. But... only those that really know me would know that lilies are my second favorite flower and cyclamen come in third. And just guess what I got for my birthday??? Besides the tulips, apparently one of my dearest friends knows me best. After having received tulips and lilies, my day appeared complete. But, when Tanya showed up for the dessert bar (more on that in a minute), she brought cyclamen with her!!! Could it get any better?

No birthday cake for me. Instead we had a dessert bar. All efficiently prepared by someone else: Caramel Apple Empanadas from Taco Bell, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip bread from Great Harvest, a Chocolate Mousse Cake slice from Dalton's, hot from the microwave Chocolate Pudding (made by the Captain), and oh... well, I guess I did make the Oatmeal Cookies the day before that we served up as well. (Thanks Grandma... best oatmeal cookie recipe EVER!) The Captain and I got creative and improvised a Chocolate Pudding Cake thing by taking a bit of the cake, and pouring some of that hot pudding over the top of it. (Okay, I confess... I also scooped some vanilla ice cream on mine. Yeah, well, it was my birthday!)

And guess what I got as a "day after my birthday" present???


Yep, a visit with Mae. Isn't she just the cutest thing? I about can't stand it. Lawsy, lawsy... what a little face!

3 comments:

TX Librarian said...

So I guess from here on out I need to give you your 3rd favorite things in order to really impress you? ;-)

kim said...

Love the Shrine! But I thinknext year you should publish"Karla's Top Ten Birthday Desires", then everyone could choose from your list! Lol!I'm glad youhad such a great day! YOu deserve it! And I must say Kudos to the Captain for branching out in the culinary world!

Karla said...

Heck no, Shelley! I count on you for my very favorite things. You are my go-to supplier!