That's it. That's just the way it is. I need more Sabbaths in my week... in my life. Funny how we come stumbling and tired into Sunday, after a week of being out and about in the business and busy-ness of our lives. I don't know about you, but sometimes as the week progresses on, the potential of life begins to feel less tangible and more theoretical. And then Sunday comes. Usually, my house is a complete disaster, my thoughts and internal drive even more jumbled and unpurposeful than my unmade bed and stacked sink of dishes. I walk into church and within a few minutes... whooosh. I'm grounded again (in the good sense, not the teen-age disciplinary sense).
This Sunday was no exception. In fact, it ended up being even better than most. It was Stake Conference. The Captain and I attended both the Saturday night adult session as well as Sunday morning. Hence my declaration: I need more Sabbaths. What an additional boost that Saturday night session was to me. Just that one night, there were excellent talks given regarding "Living After the Manner of Happiness," "Couple Missionary Work," (my fondest hope, by the way), "Strengthening Marriage," "Progression through Temple Participation and Meaning" (given by Merrill Bateman, currently the president of the Provo Temple -- can I just say "WOW?!?!?" What a talk. I was riveted. I'm also leaving in about 45 minutes to go to the temple, so, um, yeah, he was effective), and "The Responsibility of Fathers and Grandfathers."
The next day was just as uplifting and thought-provoking.
Saturday night, we sat a row behind my good friend's husband (she was speaking so she was on the stand). Anyway, I noticed that he had brought a hard-bound book (like a journal) and was taking notes in it. That really made me think. Especially once President Bateman got started and I was wishing more than anything I had some paper to take some notes to record not just what he was teaching but also the personal thoughts and reflections those teachings were causing me to have. Brother Graham (the man in front of me) is a very good man. He's a retired physician. He and his wife have raised four children. He's a previous bishop. He and his wife returned a few years ago from a mission to Central American (they met Brett there while he was serving in El Salvador). Both he and his wife served missions to Mexico when they were young and single. And there he sat, taking notes in a book that he uses exclusively for taking notes at church meetings. I wonder how long he's been doing that. Could it be that the purpose of that notebook has been to spread a little Sabbath throughout the weeks of his life instead of simply one day during the weekends? And... more interestingly, I wonder about the correlation between that simple practice and the accumulated experiences of his life to date. Cause and effect? I'd like to think so. And I'd like the same results of a life well-lived.
Whaddya know??? A way to have more Sabbaths. So, Sunday morning I went to Conference armed with my new "Sabbath during the week" notebook. I took notes. I recorded what was pertinent to me at the time. And during the week, as the week drones on and drains the tangible sense of the Gospel from the purpose of each day, I can pull out that notebook and escape for a few minutes. Remember the teachings. Remember the impressions from a previous Sunday's instructions. And voila... a mini-Sabbath during the week.
Thanks Brother Graham. Oh, and yes, I'll be calling him today and asking him for a copy of his notes from President Bateman's talk. If any of you are interested, I'd be happy to share those things he taught. They really were amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
my mom does the note taking also. i love the idea of it. thank you for the reminder that i can start one of my own... ya kno since beck and arli are perfectly reverent and all.
Karla, you are brave!
The sabbaths at our house are not a day a rest. I am pretty sure you understand. Trying to rangle myself out of bed, teenagers, and two little ones. My hubby is great, even though he is separated from the faith that once grew inside him, he tags along to sacrament meeting with us, thank goodness.
I have found it that taking notes in relief society is a great source for a short quick F.H.E. We have to keep it short or nobody will participate.
Thanks for your example
Love Ya
Post a Comment