So… we’re moving. I know… I know. Don’t gasp. I have been deliriously happy here in The Ridge. Have loved it with all my heart and soul. Have never lived in a more beautiful place… both the surroundings and the people. Oh, the people! How I love them! I could go on and on about the wonderful, kind, soulful, beautiful people that I have lived amongst for the past eight years.
However, it’s time for a change. You see, we rent the only rental in our ward. We’ve been living in it while planning to build our home on the lot we own up the road. As much as I have loved The Ridge, since last September the Captain and I have had a reason to think twice about whether it was really best for our family to stay here long term.
Now, here’s an eyebrow-raising turn of events: One of the wonderful Ridge people we love has recently had a terrible tragedy in her life. Her husband has left her and her four children. (Let’s just say, like a fool, he’s traded down.) Unfortunately, he has torched his family’s life on his way out. They have been left without a home as well as without financial support. Don’t get me started on just how angry I am about it all.
When I heard about it, I knew what we needed to do. I just knew. I came home and told the Captain what had happened. I told him flat out, “We need to move out of our house so Cindy and her children can move in. They need to be able to stay in the area. They need the support of the people here. They need everything The Fourth Ward Ridge has to offer.” Lucky for me, the Captain is the man he is. One day of figuring out logistics and we got started. So… we’re boxing things up. We’re gearing up for our next adventure. Yep, that’s the Captain and Karla Show… everyday a new adventure!
Life is good. Memories are good. Friendships are good. Packing is NOT good. Hauling things is NOT good. Labeling boxes is NOT good. Saying good-bye will NOT be good. We intend to continue attending church in The Ridge through the summer so that Jon can have his farewell here in this place with these people that played such a role in helping him get to this point in his life. Once he is safely tucked away at the MTC, the Captain and I will raise our heads, look around, and decide where we are headed next.
Will we be back in The Ridge in a couple of years happily building our home on our lot? Don’t know. Don’t need to know. It’s enough to know we’re doing the right thing now.
To my Ridge homies… may you wrap up Cindy and her young ones in all the love and friendship you shared with me and mine. There really isn’t a kinder, safer place on earth than right here. It’s been my great blessing to know you and be amongst you. “A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm crying for you Karla. I know how happy you and the Captain and family, have been there. Bless you for your unselfishness and your willingness to see another's needs. I hope that it will be a step in the right direction for you. It is kind of exciting to go to new areas! I've always loved it!!! Love you both!
True Christ like love. Sappy I know but oh well. Packing plus... always a great time to get rid of junk, or the boxed up crap that didn't get opened the last move.
Best of luck to you the captain and the ship. Not the one tha sunk last year at this time
Luvs
Suz
Do you have to make it sound like you're dying?
and no kidding, the word verification is "movelout"
Just hope this means you will be closer to us!!!!!! Maybe you can feed Colby and Jimmey My Love when they get to Provo in January.....
Any chance your thinking about leaving UT after Jon and Spence are safely tucked in the MTC?
Post a Comment