So, the Captain and I compared schedules. We crunched numbers (paycheck and budget numbers). We calculated PTO ("paid time off" not "Parent Teacher Organization" -- those days are over). And we settled on the date. Three weeks hence.
Tumors. Scarier things. The morning after surgery, with my mind still loopy and before the Captain gets there with his unloopy mind to act as interpreter, in comes Dr. Glenn for a visit. Turns out Mabel the Mass was a secondary player in all of this. Hidden behind her, undetected by the CT scan and ultra sound images, was an ovarian tumor. A large one. Dr. Glenn proceeds to give me a narrative of his thoughts when he found it mid-surgery. I'm trying to concentrate but my mind is stuck on the words "unexpected ovarian tumor." He called in Dr. Urie (pathologist) to look at it there in the operating room. He's concerned with the looks of it. Dr. Urie thinks it's "pre-cancerous" but ordered some of it sent to the lab to be sure.
Now we're in wait and see mode. It's Thursday. Long Fourth of July holiday weekend coming up. Lab results won't be back until Tuesday. Quick discussion on the chemo and/or radiation options should the results come back positive. Very cursory. We'll deal with all that later. I'm channeling my best "calm waters, 'let's not get ahead of ourselves', I can handle this." Sure am grateful for all that theater training when I was younger. Inside my head, it's a completely different story. I'm back to "wow, cancer. What will that do to my life?"

1 comment:
Wow Karla-- that is so scary. You're so brave to deal with all of this. I'm unsettled just reading about it!
Post a Comment