Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Benefits of Moving

We're on the move again. To a cute little brick "grandma" house within walking distance to where we work. While we wait for the housing and construction markets to stabilize a bit, we'll pass the time walking to work, the grocery store, the BYU football and basketball games and who knows where else. I'm quite excited about it.

But, what I'm really excited about is this: I'm going to get a utility bill from Provo City. Do you know what that means? It means I can get a Provo City Library card. Do you know how exciting that is?

During my convalescence, my sister Marian the Librarian (otherwise known as 'She Who Must Be Obeyed), came to take care of me. She brought her way cool iPad with Kindle and other eReader software loaded on it. I read "The Book Thief" and "Game Change" while faking like I'd just had major surgery so I could be waited on hand and foot. (I'm a sneaky one, eh?) Between the books SWMBO had on her iPad and all the perusing I've done on GoodReads (along with the recommendations I've gotten through my GoodReads friends -- shout out to Shelley, Jaclyn, Juliann, Sue and Jackie), I've got quite the list of books to read.

Considering how small our new home is, there's no room for bookcases so buying more books isn't an option. So, until Christmas comes (hint, hint Captain Santa) and I unwrap an eReader of my own, I plan on taking advantage of a well-stocked library or two (Provo's and Orem's, to be exact.) For the record, the Ridge was wonderful and all, but the Payson City Library that serviced the general area was dismally understocked.

Now, back to my sister. I kind of like referring to her as 'Marian the Librarian.' (That isn't her name, but it is her profession. It kind of cracks me up to visualize her in the lead role (look out, Shirley Jones) and dancing around in the "Marian the Librarian" number from The Music Man. Actually, it cracks me up A LOT!

Did I mention she lives in Texas?

You may wonder where she got the 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' title. I believe it was her husband who borrowed the term from the British comedy Rumpole of the Bailey. Never seen an episode??? Two words: "Netflix, baby!"

1 comment:

Jewelry84097 said...

I am familiar with Rumpole! Ha, I love the name for your sister. Have you tried out the Pioneer Digital Media Collections online? I get audiobooks and listen to them at work! (Had to buy a Sony Walkman for DRM-WMA support.) They also have ebooks in Mobipocket and PDF format. That will work on the B&N ereader and others. You have to have a library card at a participating library (Orem and Provo both participate!) You must go to the library and have them sign you up for NetLibrary, but you can sign up with your library card number for Overdrive at home on the Internet. Both services are good, and they have different holdings. --Julie Wright

http://pioneer.utah.gov/digital/index.html