Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gratitude - Day 10

1 - Sight. The fall colors would be hard to describe if I hadn't seen them. My children's emotions would be harder to gauge if I couldn't look at their faces. My mouth wouldn't water if I couldn't look at that phenomenal chocolate cake I'm about to inhale in one sitting. My favorite place is Sundance. I can't imagine not knowing what it looks like. Or the vastness of the ocean. Most of our memories are tied to sight, I think. I'm grateful I can see.

2 - The quiet darkness before I go to sleep. I know my room is intact. The furniture is still in position. I just can't see it all, and at the end of the day, well, I like that. The day closes down. The lights go out. I'm left with the sounds the night time makes. The wind that sneaks in through our too-thin windows. The Captain's breathing. His breathing changes when he's falling asleep. It becomes rhythmic. It's actually a comforting sound to me. It helps me to know he's shot on over to deep sleep. Well, that and he twitches a bit. Haven't quite figured that one out yet, but he does. Maybe it's his muscles finally relaxing after being tense or itchy all day.

3 - Five dollar foot-long sandwiches at Subway.

No comments: