Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gratitude - Day 9

1 - Pualani Graham. So... a long time ago I watched her lead the music in church. I thought to myself, "Get to know her. You need to." (Weird thing to think, but, there you are.) So, I walked up to her and said, "Pualani, I would like you to be my friend." So, since then we've gone to lunch, talked a lot, gone to the temple together, talked some more. I even attempted to be a good friend and sing in the ward choir that she directs. But, hey, I can only do so much, y'know? No really, my voice is weak and ugly now so I do her the favor of NOT singing in the choir anymore.

Okay, so about six weeks ago, she calls me up and asks me if I'd like to volunteer as a Spanish investigator at the MTC every Tuesday. The missionaries learning Spanish practice teaching me. Can I say...???... I am happy as a pig in mud to be back at the MTC. To sit with the missionaries and watch them earnestly struggle to express themselves and be understood in a foreign language (*my* foreign language).

It brings back so many memories of when I taught there after my mission. Plus, hey, I get to speak in Spanish for two hours every week. BLISS. CONTENTMENT. JOY.

2 - Knowing Spanish. Speaking Spanish. Reading Spanish. Loving Spanish. Argentine Spanish. Yep, the best kind. It's a beautiful, poetic language. I love it, love it, love it. I have missed it. (The downside of divorcing the Argentine ex-husband was not getting to speak Spanish everyday anymore.) The Church has just published a Spanish version of the Bible (complete with LDS footnotes). I picked up a copy of it last week at Deseret Book. This week I've started doing my scripture study in Spanish. BLISS. CONTENTMENT. JOY.

3 - My friend, Renae. Today is the 13th anniversary of her death from brain cancer. She was 28 when she was diagnosed and 31 when she passed away. She was funny, quirky, genuine, had a lovely alto voice and an infectious laugh. I have such great memories of times spent in San Diego with her and the rest of 'the gang.' She is the closest thing to a little sister I ever had. I think of her often as I look at the Facebook pages of her now-grown children. They were so small when they lost her. I can't believe how long it's been. I miss ya, 'Nae.

1 comment:

Jim and Katie said...

I am grateful for your Gratitude posts! Keep 'em up :)