1 - My children's independent faith. As I have been prepping my Basic Roasted Potatoes (thanks Rookie) to accompany our grilled steaks for Sunday dinner and reading about startup small businesses on the computer, I have heard the voice of Jeffrey R. Holland coming down the hall. Now, down the hall are located the bedrooms of Bing and Bang (Boom is in the MTC). Bang is getting ready for her mission to Scotland/Ireland.
Yesterday morning Bing, Bang, the Captain and I were all sitting on my bed talking scriptures. I pulled out my marked-up copy of Doctrine & Covenants and referred to the 20th section. We talked about the difference between the statements put forth in the Nicean Creed and verses in Section 20 that declare the doctrines of the Restoration. We talked of the difference between the statement "we believe" and "we know." At that point, Bing referenced a terrific talk given a couple of years ago by Elder Holland. He specifically told Bang about it in the context of her preparation for missionary service. And then we moved on to other things... like who's cleaning the bathroom this weekend and what time the BYU game started.
Now today, I hear the voice of Elder Holland as Bing and Bang listen together to that talk. No parents directing discussions. No assignment to speak in church soon. Just the two of them and their common faith. I am more grateful than I have words to express.
2 - Isaiah. Now, there's a prophet for you. And for me. His writings and prophecies have been the subject of our Sunday school lessons for the past three weeks. It's cool to talk Isaiah with teenagers. Way cool! Since I'm on the subject, I better also express my gratitude for the resource books that have helped me understand Isaiah better. How appropriate that one is titled, "Understanding Isaiah." Ya think???
3 - Rookie Cookie's blog. She no longer actively posts there, but I'm grateful she left it up. Those recipes are wicked good. The simple ones and the complex ones. Were it not for Basic Roasted Potatoes we'd be having regular old mashed potatoes for the third time this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You are so nice. I am glad the ol' blog is still serving you well. Thanks for the kind words.
Post a Comment